DEATH * BY * METH

This is dedicated to Travis Holappa who was kidnapped, tortured and murdered on July 25, 2004 in Northern Minnesota. This was all due to meth. I am Travis' mother and I wish to make this devastation turn into a better thing by educating and exposing the truth about meth, the dangers, and the deadly consequences it brings about to individuals and communities.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I want to do what I can to educate people about what is going on around the world with the meth problem. I want people to know about it BEFORE they even get the idea to want to try it. It is a dangerous drug and will ruin your life as well as all those who love you. I am on a mission on behalf of my only son, Travis.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Older Addicts: Baby Boomers Turn to Meth (Wisconsin)

Chippewa Valley

The face of meth is changing. Local counselors say the average meth user is 29 years old, but that number could go higher. People in their 40's, 50's and 60's, are becoming part of the meth crisis. Drug counselors say Baby Boomers who used to come in for alcohol treatment are now coming in for meth treatment and their numbers are increasing.

The reasons why they use and their road to recover differ from younger users.

Dunn County Sheriff Dennis Smith says, "Some of the older ones that we've had have been people who wanted to lose weight and they thought this is the best way of losing weight." Weight loss, dental problems, and body sores are all signs of meth use.

McKinzi Simonsen is a drug counselor. She says, "Our Baby Boomers are taking care of their parents, taking care of their children and their children's children. And some of them are turning to meth to be able to keep up, because it gives them that energy."

Simonsen says meth takes its toll faster in older people because their slower metabolism keeps the poison in them longer.

When it comes to recovery, counselors say it can be harder to get an older person in for treatment, because they are reluctant to admit they need help at their age.

On the other hand, counselors say having children, a home, and a job to return to can help motivate older users to complete the treatment process.

For anyone that is interested. I am a Chippewa, older, caring for my mother, niece, daughter and grand sons...AND a disabled husband. I have not turned to drugs or alcohol (probably because I did up until 15 years ago and found they don't help)... BUT I have found Jesus Christ and HE alone keeps me going and gives me strength. Praise God.

Please find the rest of the older addicts story at the url below:

http://www.wqow.com/news/articles/article_6257.shtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home