DEATH * BY * METH

This is dedicated to Travis Holappa who was kidnapped, tortured and murdered on July 25, 2004 in Northern Minnesota. This was all due to meth. I am Travis' mother and I wish to make this devastation turn into a better thing by educating and exposing the truth about meth, the dangers, and the deadly consequences it brings about to individuals and communities.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I want to do what I can to educate people about what is going on around the world with the meth problem. I want people to know about it BEFORE they even get the idea to want to try it. It is a dangerous drug and will ruin your life as well as all those who love you. I am on a mission on behalf of my only son, Travis.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Memorial grows where teen slain (Colorado)

Print By Bianca Prieto, Rocky Mountain News


LONGMONT - Jesus Vega crossed the street in northern Longmont at sunset Sunday and placed a single red rose at a makeshift memorial for his friend who was murdered there the night before.

Seventeen-year-old Martin Garcia was brutally beaten with baseball bats and stabbed with a large knife by 10 men in their late teens and early 20s about 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

Longmont police believe the murder was gang-related. Police have not made any arrests but have several leads, they said.

"I feel sorry for my friends," said Vega, 20, who knew Garcia by his nickname "Bouncer." "It's not good to lose somebody very young."

Several bouquets of flowers, cards and a wooden cross were placed on the ground at the memorial, on the southern side of the Rainbow Children's Center, a day care near 21st Avenue and Collyer Street where Garcia was killed.

Someone had written in chalk Descanse en Paz - "Rest in Peace" in Spanish - and "We will miss you Bouncer" on the sidewalk.

"I feel that it is a waste of a life," said Krysteal Nitzel, a 16-year-old sophomore at Skyline High School in Longmont. She didn't know Garcia, but stopped to see the memorial.

"It's happening too much," she said. "I don't know how anyone could take a life."

Residents in the area are concerned about the violence, they said.

One woman, who did not want to be identified because she fears repercussions, said she wants to form a neighborhood watch group so neighbors can get to know each other better.

"It's always been a quiet neighborhood," she said. "To have someone murdered within a few feet of your home is shocking, but not until something happens do you begin to notice."

In the past year the neighborhood has seen an increase in gang taggings and a meth lab in the area was busted, she said.

Another woman, who has lived in the neighborhood for more than 20 years, says she doesn't want violence and gangs in her neighborhood.

"I feel like we're in the middle of a gang war," she said, shaking her head. "What's next? A drive-by?"

She, too, asked not to be identified.

Around the corner, cars slowed as they passed and groups of people gathered around the memorial. Some prayed, while others wrote on two pieces of poster board that had been placed there.

Longmont police are searching for the 10 suspects and two vehicles, a green or gray 1990s model Cadillac DeVille and a gray or silver 1990s model Mercury Marquis.

Anyone with information about the slaying is asked to call Longmont police at 303-651-8501.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4626963,00.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~WE'LL MISS U MARTIN~
R.I.P

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Loving Memory of
Martin Garcia
Oct.27,1988 - April 15,2006


One night i had a dream i was walking along the beatch with the lord and across the skies flashed scenes from my life in each scene i noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. one was mine, and one was the Lord's.


when the last scene of my life appeared before me, i looked at the footprints in the sand and to my surprise i noticed that many times along the path of my life there was only one set of footprints and i noticed that it was at the lowest and saddest times in my life

i asked the lord about it:"Lord, you said that once i decided to follow you, you would walk with me all the way. but i noticed that during my troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints i don't understand why you left my side when i needed you the most."

the Lord said:"My precious child, i never left you during your time of trail. where you see only one set of footprints, i was carrying you."


the memories of u we keep alive in our minds and hearts




R.I.P

El BOUNCER


Always remembered,
never forgotten

Monday, October 02, 2006 12:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home